Fish and chips is a classic British dish that is loved by people all over the world. It consists of deep-fried fish, usually cod or haddock, paired with thick-cut chips (french fries). This recipe is a perfect way to make this dish at home, it’s easy to follow and delicious.
|Cod or haddock fillets||4|
|All-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Beer or Water||1 cup|
|Vegetable oil||for deep frying|
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly stir in the beer or water until the batter is smooth and thick.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or a large, deep saucepan to 350°F (175°C).
- Dip the fish fillets into the batter, making sure they are fully coated. Carefully place the battered fish into the hot oil.
- Fry the fish for 3-4 minutes, or until the batter is golden brown and crispy. Remove the fish from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Fry the chips in the same oil for 5-6 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the chips on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the fish and chips with malt vinegar and tartar sauce, if desired.
Fish and chips is a hearty and satisfying dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a casual get-together with friends. The key to making this dish is to use good quality fish and not overcook it. Follow these instructions and you’ll be able to make restaurant-worthy fish and chips at home.