If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make Italian appetizer, look no further than eggplant caponata. This classic dish is made with eggplant, tomatoes, onions, capers, and olives, all cooked together in a sweet and tangy sauce. In this article, we’ll share a simple recipe for eggplant caponata that’s sure to impress your guests.
|1/4 cup||Olive Oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1 can (14 oz)||Diced Tomatoes|
|1/4 cup||Red Wine Vinegar|
|1/2 cup||Green Olives, sliced|
|Salt and Pepper||to taste|
|Fresh Basil||for garnish|
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced eggplant and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, red wine vinegar, honey, and capers. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the caponata simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the sliced olives and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Season the caponata with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve with crostini or crackers.
This eggplant caponata recipe is a great appetizer for any occasion. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors is sure to please your taste buds, while the diced eggplant provides a meaty texture. The capers and olives add a salty bite, while the fresh basil gives a touch of herbaceousness.
In addition to being a delicious appetizer, eggplant caponata is also a healthy and nutritious dish. Eggplant is a great source of fiber and antioxidants, while tomatoes and onions provide vitamins and minerals. The olives and capers also provide healthy fats, making this dish a great choice for a balanced diet.