Shortbread cookies are a classic treat that is loved by many for their rich and buttery flavor. These simple yet delicious cookies are perfect for any occasion, whether you’re looking for a sweet snack to enjoy with your afternoon tea or a dessert to share with friends and family. This recipe is easy to follow and requires just a few basic ingredients, making it perfect for novice bakers and seasoned pros alike.
|White granulated sugar
|2 1/4 cups
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually mix in the flour and salt until a soft dough forms.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, or use a sharp knife to cut the dough into squares or rectangles.
- Place the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Use a fork to prick each cookie a few times.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade shortbread cookies!
- For an extra buttery flavor, use European-style butter.
- Shortbread cookies are traditionally simple and plain, but you can add in your favorite flavorings such as vanilla extract, lemon zest, or cocoa powder for a twist.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.