Egg Custard Tart: A Traditional British Dessert
Egg custard tart, also known as a custard tart, is a traditional British dessert that has been enjoyed for centuries. This recipe will show you how to make a delicious egg custard tart that’s perfect for any occasion.
|Puff pastry||1 sheet|
|Granulated sugar||1/2 cup|
|Whole milk||2 cups|
|Heavy cream||1/2 cup|
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to about a 1/8-inch thickness. Carefully place the pastry into a 9-inch (23cm) tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the pastry into the edges of the pan and trim any excess.
- Prick the bottom of the pastry shell with a fork and then place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the chilled pastry and fill it with baking beads, dried beans, or rice. This will keep the pastry from puffing up while baking.
- Bake the pastry shell for 12-15 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove the parchment paper and the beads, beans, or rice and continue to bake for another 5-7 minutes or until the bottom of the pastry is golden brown.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract, and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pastry shell.
- Return the tart to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
- you can add grated nutmeg on top for extra flavor.
- This recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free puff pastry.
- If you want to add some variation you can use different flavored extracts like almond, orange, or lemon.
- You can serve the tart with a dusting of powdered sugar or fresh berries on top.
Egg custard tart is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. Its creamy, custardy filling and flaky pastry crust make it a favorite among both kids and adults. Give this recipe a try and see for yourself how delicious egg custard tart can be.