Caramel Custard: A Delicious and Decadent Dessert
Caramel custard, also known as flan, is a classic dessert that combines the rich, buttery flavor of caramel with the creamy texture of custard. This recipe will show you how to make a delicious caramel custard that’s perfect for any occasion.
|Granulated sugar||1/2 cup|
|Whole milk||2 cups|
|Heavy cream||1/2 cup|
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|Caramel sauce||1/4 cup|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To make the caramel sauce, place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the sugar has melted and turned a deep golden brown color.
- Quickly pour the caramel sauce into the bottom of a 9-inch (23cm) round baking dish. Tilt the dish to evenly coat the bottom and slightly up the sides. Be careful, as the caramel will be very hot.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, cream, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg mixture over the caramel into the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish inside a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and fill the larger pan with warm water to reach about halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Carefully transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before refrigerating for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the custard to loosen it from the dish, then invert the custard onto a plate, so the caramel sauce is on top.
- You can use store-bought caramel sauce instead of making it from scratch.
- Caramel custard should be served chilled, but not cold.
- You can also top it with some whipped cream or fresh fruits for added flavor and presentation.
- The recipe makes about 2 cups of custard.
Caramel custard is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. Its rich, buttery flavor and creamy texture make it a hit with both kids and adults. Give this recipe a try and see for yourself how delicious caramel custard can be.